This film is so incredible I have a hard time describing it. It is a very depressing, yet beautiful look into the lives of four drug addicts; a pair of young heroine addicts, Tyrone Love and Harry Goldfarb, Harry's cokehead girlfriend Marion, and Harry's mother, Sara Goldfarb, who has become dependant on the amphetamine diet pills prescribed by her doctor. All the performances are stupendid; Jared Leto plays a wonderful desperate junkie as Harry, and Marlon Wayans shows how truly talented he is and how he can do so much more than the crude comedies he is known for, and Ellen Burstyn is particularly spectacular as the aging Sara Goldfarb, delivering a beautiful performance. The main theme song is what made this movie famous, no question, and for good reason, as it sets the perfect tone for this dark peak into these peoples' personal hells. It is an extremely touching film, and definately something you should be emotionally prepared for and not something to just watch on a good happy day with your friends, as it is, admittedly, quite a downer.

Hi Cam!
ReplyDeleteInteresting posts about very interesting movies! I can see that you appreciate the more obscure movies or ones which fit into an almost "cultish" genre. It is so true that the actors are so important especially in character movies where it is almost a prerequisite to immerse yourself into a role, almost live it well before you shoot. Many character actors prepare that way. I remember when Mickey Rourke prepared for The Pope of Greenwich Village, he disappeared for a very long time and nobody could contact him. He surfaced the first day of shooting a different man. He lived and breathed his character.
I was inspired by your posts to look at some movie reviews and take down some titles I have not seen. I am assuming that you probably liked the "classics" , Resevoir Dogs, Trainspotting, Boys Don't Cry, Pulp Fiction, The Godfather etc. Have you seen Half Nelson, The United States of Leland, The Sweet Hereafter, Donnie Darko, Papillion, The Cooler, Big Fish, The Fall, The Royal Tenenbaums, Road to Predition, The Big Lebowski, The Fountain, In Bruge, V for Vendetta? This is a list of ones I have liked and ones I really want to see.
Go to this website (note that the writer has spelling errors) but he seems to know his movies and has suggested great ones. It is often all about the actors and actresses who pull of amazing performances and give movie scripts depth and life.
http://www.imdb.com/list/h4QexehOzoE/
Enjoyed your posts and your descriptive words as you promote these "works of art". Wouldn't it be nice to have a snow day and watch movies all day? :) M. Morton
Sorry - I didn't mean to include In Bruge - I know you wrote about it!
ReplyDeleteNovember 16
ReplyDeleteYou haven't posted anything new. Cam - You need to keep up with your writing or you will find yourself too far behind. Ms. Morton
Cool post but "Pi" is the superior Aronofsky film.
ReplyDelete